Measured Against Reality

Monday, October 08, 2007

Random stuff

A strange thought occurred to me today. The practice of giving a child the combination of his parents' last names separated by a hyphen has becoming increasingly common (or however people get hyphenated last names), and I was wondering what would happen if two people who had hyphenated last names gave their child the combination of their last name. I could imagine a society with exponentially growing last names, (obviously by 2^(generation)), and I wonder if it has ever happened that someone has more than two last names spliced into one (I've certainly never seen more).

This is going to pass for a blog post because I've been incredibly busy at school, apparently taking Quantum Mechanics and Thermodynamics at the same time as some fuzzy (read: non-technical) classes and starting to work in a lab is just a bit much (compared to what I'm used to).

Also, Stanford somehow managed to beat USC on Saturday, in what can only be described as USC falling apart magnificently (we were a 41-point underdog). It's being called one of the greatest upsets in the history of college football, and since Stanford went 1-11 last year, our starting quarterback was out for the game, it's our coach's first year (we've had a new coach every year I've been here), and our team is plagued by injuries and we have a tremendously difficult time recruiting new talent, well it just might be the greatest upset of all time.

Needless to say campus went crazy that night, it was good fun.

I promise I'm going to try to update more frequently with science-related stuff. I sincerely don't understand how people like PZ Myers manage to update so frequently, it's

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home