Measured Against Reality

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sharia courts in Britain now have binding power

Holy freaking crap:

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.


That's absolutely unbelievable. Is this really what Britain has come to?

I don't think I can actually comment cogently on this. It's just too absurd, too shocking, too ridiculous. All I can say is that I can't even fathom something like it happening in the US, at least for the time being.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • They tried to have Sharia Law here in Ontario, Canada but it was successfully shot down. I'm dumbfounded by the Brits!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 PM, September 16, 2008  

  • I know this is an old post, but you'll find a more balanced view (not difficult) at bostonreview.net/BR34.2/bowen.php

    I am nonreligious and English, by the way. I understand that religion offers solace to a lot of people, and I don't have an atheistic agenda. I think you could really, really do with being more informed about it, if all you can do is sit stupified (no pun intended) by some spin from a partisan news report.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM, April 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home