Measured Against Reality

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Politics

In the two weeks since I last tallied my preferences, I've decided to support Barack Obama. I'm going to be honest, because there is so little separating the Democratic candidates in terms of their positions (at least that they admit), this is more of a "gut feel" choice, he just feels better.

But, being only 20, this is the first time I've really felt attached to a politician, the first time I've followed votes coming in and followed the polls week-to-week. And the lead-up to February 5th (when I, along with much of the country, will vote), I am filled with a sense of dread. After Iowa there was an optimism, that he could pull this off, that Hillary wouldn't win and give us four more years (while she wouldn't be as catastrophic as Bush, she wouldn't be great, and I'll stand by the prediction), but following New Hampshire and Nevada, his huge deficit in national and local polls, her huge leads among older whites, the news that Edwards voters tend to prefer Hillary, it all wears on a supporter's soul.

I suppose it's better for me than my roommate, who is visibly disturbed by each loss, each poll. This primary season is like watching a 2-month-long football game, and my team has been trailing since

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home