Measured Against Reality

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Prayer poster

I just moved into my new dorm, and today coming back from work (research, more on that later) I noticed a couple of white sheets of paper on the door across the hall from me. It said something to the effect of:

Prayer list.

Put the things you'd like [myself and my roommate] to pray for, and we'll pray for them. Leave your name or be anonymous, God knows who you are.


I just don't know how to react. A part of me wants to do something destructive to it, but that's just counterproductive. A much bigger part of me wants to write something incredibly mean/offensive on it, something along the lines of, "Pray for you two to get some brains and realize that your religion is a fairy tail." Although I'd probably go for something more ironic, "Pray for a world without the institutionalized evil that is religion." (And really, who doesn't love irony?)

I'll probably just end up doing nothing (believe it or not, I don't actually like starting conflicts), but I'll definitely watch what people put up, I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like my comments, although frankly I'd put money on nothing serious being put up at all. My experience here says that very, very few people are religious. But who knows? My experience also says they tend to be clustered, last year I lived around a bunch of people who regularly went to church, whereas I'd known one in the previous two years. So maybe there will be a bunch of asinine, selfish prayer requests combined with the few "noble" gestures ("world peace!!!11 lol"), because, after all, we're concerned about people other than ourselves, right?

Right?

(As a PS, I wonder what would happen if I put something up on my door that was quite offensive to religious people. I'm thinking along the lines of "university personnel start to harass me". I bet that I would be targeted, while I'm doing nothing that they weren't. Yeah, seeing the stupid thing made me angry, but guess what

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I get prayer lists regularly.

    Write in

    Pray for the defeat of the Californian Proposition 8
    ... the continued separation of Church and State
    ... an HIV vaccine
    ... the success of Obama in the Presidential elections.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 AM, September 18, 2008  

  • Hah! Good one, I might just use some of those. Although given that most of the religious people I know here are still fairly liberal on those issues, I don't know how effective it would be.

    By Blogger Stupac2, at 9:34 AM, September 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home