Measured Against Reality

Thursday, June 21, 2007

North Carolina wants you hung over

This is pretty funny, and a good example of the mindset of fundamentalists. North Carolina has (along with 22 other states) banned alcohol vaporizers, which apparently allow you to get drunk and skip the hangover (which results, as I understand it, partially from impurities. But I thought dehydration played a part as well, so I don't know how this works).

Anyway, the rationale is priceless:

Imagine what would happen if users could fast track the mind-altering effects of alcohol and, at the same time, sidestep the hangover. That's exactly the appeal of AWOL. It is not complimentary of the great State of North Carolina that this new scourge for alcohol abuse is being marketed from within our own borders.


Yes, making a legal substance more enjoyable is a bad thing.

I wonder about the people who care so much about what other people do. I just don't understand what is wrong with them, why they think that they know what's best for everyone else. It's really damn condescending, as well as manifestly wrong. Hopefully we'll realize that one day, and move past our inane paternalistic impulses. I can hope, but I think it's a vain hope.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home