Measured Against Reality

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thank god they passed that bill, or Christmas would surely have been destroyed forever!

From The Economist blog, Christmas saved from near-certain doom (translated: that dumb "Save Christmas" bill passed the House").

I'm not entirely surprised, mostly because I think at this point the House will pass anything that doesn't actually improve the country in any way. I'd really like to see someone introduce the "Flags for Orphans" bill from The Simpsons just to see what would happen.

I don't feel that I need to give an extended opinion on this inanity to slay all inanities of a law. Christmas is doing just fine, and frankly I wish we would all just leave it the hell alone, stop whining about whether it's "too material" or fret about "the war on Christmas". It's stupid, it's pointless, and the people who say it and the people who believe it are morons.

3 Comments:

  • My rep (DeGette, D-CO) voted against it, and I couldn't be happier.

    By Blogger Paul, at 9:57 AM, December 13, 2007  

  • Good for him. None of mine did, but that doesn't mean they voted for it. I did notice that Pete Stark, the sole House outed non-believer, voted against it. Good for him too, and the other seven who took a stand against idiocy.

    By Blogger Stupac2, at 10:00 AM, December 13, 2007  

  • I don't understand why no one has mentioned the previous resolutions supporting other religious holidays with similar language.

    I hate to link to a fox news article, but:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316574,00.html

    There were previous resolutions regarding Ramadan and Diwali, and they were all unanimous! (though it's my understanding that Diwali is a secular celebration)

    So I think it's a little disingenuous to paint this as the House just sitting around and highlighting only Christmas. Don't get me wrong, all of these resolutions look like a waste of time. But it is not as singled-out as the commenters here would make it sound.

    What bothers me are the idiots who voted yes for the other resolutions but no for the Christianity resoultion (even though HR847 was probably done out of spite). They do no service to secular causes -- It just plays into the hands of those who view everything as an attack on Christianity in particular, and the "War on Christmas" whining can continue...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 AM, December 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home